Friday, October 15, 2010

Stop, Drop and Read!

Read anywhere, any time!
My school is celebrating its own Literacy Month this month, and everyone's been challenged to just stop what they're doing and read for at least ten minutes every day. Of course, for me, that isn't hard... But it's been GREAT seeing everyone else reading too!

The students get started with their reading challenge during assembly...



The staff get reading too!



And of course the students read when they should be doing maths...
(And I hate having to tell them to put their novels away, 
because it makes me so happy to see them reading!)


You know that Black Eyed Peas song, I GOTTA FEELING? Well, have you heard the Ocoee Middle School version GOTTA KEEP READING? I know, I know, you're gonna be thinking corny as soon as you hear it, but I couldn't stop smiling the whole way through :-) Below is a little clip of our girls singing it...




If you work at a school, have you done something like this before? 
A read-a-thon, perhaps?


All credit goes to the Black Eyed Peas for the original song I GOTTA FEELING and to Ocoee Middle School (I think, I mean their name is on the video on YouTube!) for the words of GOTTA KEEP READING. If you'd like to see Ocoee Middle School performing their song, click here. It's awesome!


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved your photographs and comments. Yes, I used to do this... many years ago. :0)

Bast said...

Haha ... that song is great (the one of your students)! I think the stop and read thing is a great idea.

Are there any rules involved in this? Are the kids allowed to stop doing work at any moment and pull out a book? As great as that is, it seems like it could make teaching classes kinda difficult this month.

Marieke said...

That just sounds great :) Such a good way to promote literacy!

Jenn said...

That's awesome! When I taught middle school each year we'd have a themed reading day during Reading Week (in April). Last year it was "going bananas for reading!" and each kid got a banana to eat while reading and a banana bookmark. Fun times! Your pictures are great by the way. :)

RaShelle Workman said...

Rachel - This is great! Love the song too. And now the song is stuck in my head. Gotta keep reading. LOL Love it!!

Unknown said...

Carole & Jenn - thanks :-)

Quinn - they're supposed to stop, drop and read OUTSIDE of lesson time ;-)

Marieke - it's super great.

RaShelle - I had that song in my head for the whole day after assembly!

Anonymous said...

I like that stop, drop and read. I might say that to my kids and see if they listen ;)