Saturday, April 9, 2011

H is for Hypnagogic & Hypnopompic

H is also for "Huh?", which is what you may be wondering when you see those words!

Hypnagogic (or hypnogogic) adj relating to the drowsiness preceding sleep.

Hypnopompic adj relating to the semi-consciousness preceding waking.

Know the feelings? I do. The hypnagogic one is the one where that falling thing happens. You know that one? When you're almost asleep and in your semi-dreams you fall somehow and are suddenly jolted awake with a great fright! Not nice.


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm.. try to avoid the second one! Fortunately as I grow older is happens less. :0)

Unknown said...

Oh I love this feeling. So they got a name for it, of cource they do. Who makes up these names anyways? Nice post:)

Michael Di Gesu said...

Interesting. More weird names to try and remember...lol

I don't like that weird feeling before dosing off.

jkraus8464 said...

Cool words. I love those feelings too and I love knowing the words for them. Nice post.

Ju Dimello said...

Thanks for the new words :)

Following you from A-Z challenge!

Sarah Allen said...

Oh, this is the weirdest. Great new words I'm going to love using :) Especially in the morning this is when I register the dreams I've been having...this morning it was puffy, scarred beings like the one orc in Return of the King who would slice open their skin and put rats and other peoples faces inside of themselves. Yeah, no idea where that came from. I don't know why I can never have nice dreams.

Great post though :)

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Sarah Allen said...

Hello from your newest A-Z follower, btw :)

Anonymous said...

Ah but why does Hypnagogic happen?
:O)

Mary Aalgaard said...

Are we feeling hynotized? Then, open to creativity.