Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Book Review: Beautiful Creatures, by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.
In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.
(Summary from Goodreads)


There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.

Having just finished my much-anticipated CLOCKWORK ANGEL, I was having the low-after-the-high when I began to read BEAUTIFUL CREATURES, so it started a bit slow for me. I soon found myself hooked by the story though, and kept turning the pages because it was easy reading and I wanted to find out what happened next.

Both Lena and Ethan came across as well-rounded, real characters. Though I don't know how many boys are actually like Ethan Wate in real life, or if this is just how we (girls) want boys to be! Caring, sensitive, don't care what other guys think about them, and are willing to risk everything for the "different" girl. But so what? If we wanted real life we wouldn't be reading these kinds of books, would we?! Bring on the fantasy!

(Tiny criticism: possibly a little too long and drawn out...)

I imagined several endings to this story, and the one I got wasn't exactly what I expected. And it's great when that happens! I love being surprised! I've already ordered the sequel, BEAUTIFUL DARKNESS, because I want to know what happens next...

So here's me recommending this book!
*recommends*
:-)


3 comments:

Cinette said...

I guess I'll have to check this one out!

Miss Page-Turner said...

I really liked Beautiful Creatures! Thanks for participating in my giveaway. Yay, you are the first to ask if my blog title is because I'm a TMI fan. And you're right:DThe Mortal Instruments is my favourite series ever, I'm in love with Jace and would marry him if it wasn't illegal to marry a fictional character,haha. Glad to meet another fan, of course I am a new follower:)

Kristina Fugate said...

I'm going to add this to my Christmas list! lol :)