Monday, April 9, 2012

Creepy Hollow Fae: Halfling


Year of study: fifth
Assignment type: solo





It’s a half-goblin, half-dryad (yeah, don’t ask me how that happened; that dryad obviously had highly questionable taste) and it won’t shut up.

“Come dance with me, little guardian wannabe.” It skips on the spot, then prances in a circle around the porch swing. It has that hunched, hairy goblin look, combined with the floaty dress, long hair and somewhat transparent features of the dryad. Not attractive. I can’t even figure out if it’s male or female.

The little girl lying on the swing reading a book and humming to herself is completely unaware.

“Just step away from the human, would you?”

“I’ll step if you step. Step, step, step.”

Great. Just my luck to end up with a psycho assignment.

“How about we step down here?” I suggest. I’m standing on the lawn, a safe distance away from the house.

The halfling does a jig on the stairs and begins singing some nonsense song. “Come catch me, come catch me, stick insect girl...”

“Stick insect?”

“... With little stick legs and little stick arms, she has no charm, and she—”

“Enough!” With a snap, a whip appears in my hand. It flashes through the air, wraps around the halfling’s left leg and yanks it clear off the porch. With a wail and a puff of gag-inducing smoke, the halfling disappears in mid air.

The little girl turns a page and carries on humming.

~  ~  ~

Like this flash fiction? Find out more about the Creepy Hollow series.
If you'd like to know more about my A to Z flash fiction pieces, read my A to Z Challenge Theme for 2012 post.


For those of you who were expecting hairy-footed hobbits ... sorry. Not in this world!

9 comments:

Meradeth Houston said...

Hah! Love it! Very fun :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The weird ones will keep her on her toes!

Elise Fallson said...

Oh, this was a fun read! I love the idea strange things can happen all around that we are totally unaware of...(:

Johanna Garth said...

Cute, glad the little girl didn't follow it down the path.

Morgan said...

You've got such a great voice, Rach. Love your dry, sarcastic humor. :D

Too fun!

Kittie Howard said...

Actually, 'hafting' turned out to be my favorite new word!

Fairview said...

very fun. Love all the creatures.

Anonymous said...

It's really creeping me out when people can't see them. Or when I remember that fact.

مشاعر˚ஐ ♥˚◦ ˚◦ نازفة said...

i loved it ^_^