Sunday, April 1, 2012

Creepy Hollow Fae: Asrai


Year of study: fourth
Assignment type: paired (without mentor)





I’ve been told they’re beautiful, but this woman is like nothing I’ve ever seen. She’s petite and delicate, with glossy dark locks falling over her shoulders, and pale skin that seems to glow beneath the moonlight. Her eyes are downcast, and there’s something vulnerable about her expression. She walks slowly along the water’s edge, her feet barely rustling the grass.

“Now I know why they didn’t send a guy on this assignment,” I whisper to Honey.

Honey nods. “Yeah, I can see men throwing themselves at this asrai’s feet. Men like that one.” She points up the hill toward the house. A man is striding down to the lake at the bottom of his estate. He’s obviously seen the unglamoured asrai.

Before I can stop her, Honey steps out of her hiding place and stands in front of the asrai. “So,” she says. “We were thinking you should leave now. Otherwise, you know, there may be a fight. And we’d hate to ruin your white dress.”

I suppress a groan. Doesn’t Honey realize she’s just ruined this assignment for us?

The asrai looks up at Honey between long lashes. “Will you come with me?” she asks, her voice low and seductive.

Honey rolls her eyes. “That’s not gonna work on me.” She points to herself. “Girl, remember?”

“But I’m so lonely,” the asrai whispers. I can see Honey hesitating. The asrai lifts her hand toward Honey’s face. I jump between them, grab the asrai’s wrist, and twist her arm behind her.

“How about you come with us,” says Honey, recovering quickly. “A visit to the Guild is what you get for attempting to hurt a human. You know the rules.”

The asrai laughs. “I do know the rules. Apparently better than you, little guardian. Until you’ve witnessed an attempt on my part to break the Law, you have no right to take me in. And I’ve done nothing wrong tonight. Yet.”

~  ~  ~

Like this flash fiction? Find out more about the Creepy Hollow series.
If you'd like to know more about my A to Z flash fiction pieces, read my A to Z Challenge Theme for 2012 post.



P.S. Don't forget the giveaway happening here till the end of Friday (EST)!

22 comments:

Udita Banerjee said...

hey... I dropped by because I'm doing the challenge too! Good work, great to see you prepared and so themed up! Good luck, happy writing!

www.effervescencia.blogspot.com
udita.banerjee@gmail.com

Anna Tan said...

I loved this!

Now following your blog.

<a href="http://natzthinks.blogspot.com>anna</a>

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Loved it! So wanted more.
I follow by email so I never miss a pot :)

Sarah Tokeley said...

oops, that's a mistake that might get them into trouble!

Anonymous said...

Great idea for a theme! Good luck on the Challenge!

Sabrina A. Fish said...

Ah, loved it! Your book in on my reading list, AND it just got bumped up a few spots.

Great job!

SabrinaAFish

Unknown said...

effervescencia - Thanks for being the first 2012 A to Z visitor to this blog!

Anna - Thanks for the follow :)

Mary - Glad you want more because, you know, there are 25 more posts coming... ;-)

Sarah - Yeah, they definitely lost points on this assignment. And seeing as Vi is such a perfectionist, she was NOT happy that Honey messed this one up for them!

jesstopper - Thanks for stopping by, and good luck to you to!

Sabrina - Bumped up a few spots? Yay!! Thanks!

Gwen Gardner said...

Nice scene and I like your theme - how fun! I've got to bump up my reading schedule:)

Gwen Gardner said...

I just saw the note at the top as I was leaving - sorry Rachel, but I'll still make it a point to put it on my TBR list:) Or did I already do that? Shoot - too much going on!!!

Misha Gerrick said...

I love your A to Z idea. :-D Asrai sound so interesting. So was Honey's decision to move in what broke the Guild rules?

Susan Oloier said...

This is so great, Rachel. Your book is at the top of my TBR list, by the way.

Annalisa Crawford said...

Great start, Rachel!

Kittie Howard said...

What a fantastic theme! And idea! Loved what you wrote. You're on a roll, Rachel!

Fairview said...

Really love your writing style. Looking forward to more. Sorry to hear your book has gone missing...
Seriously not funny.

Anonymous said...

I'm hooked! Love the idea that these are mini-assignments. I love your short stories about Serena and the Hunk too, maybe next AtoZ, they'll be in the spotlight? :)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to write flash fiction for the challenge. And this is a great piece!

Unknown said...

Lovely piece---as lovely as the Asrai :)

Look forward to your challenge posts, Rachel!


--Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge

Krista McLaughlin said...

Ooo, intriguing beginning! :)

Unknown said...

Lady Gwen - Thanks! And it's been "found" now!

Misha - Yeah. Honey thought she could get rid of the problem before it happened, but since the asrai hadn't done anything wrong yet, they couldn't apprehend her. Kinda makes sense :-)

Susan, Annalisa & Kittie - Thank you :-)

Fairview - My book has been "found"! Yay! I'm going to make an announcement post in a few hours with links to where people can get it. And thanks for liking the way I write :-)

AJ - Aw, thanks so much for having a look at the Serena and The Hunk flash fictions! So far I've only used those characters for blogfests, but maybe they'll make a bigger appearance sometime :)

Medeia - It's a time-consuming idea, but I like it. Thanks!

Damyanti & Krista - Thank you :)

Theresa Milstein said...

Asrai and Honey are such pretty names.

Cherie Reich said...

Love your theme!

And I wonder what the asrai is planning to do.

Cherie Reich - Author

Surrounded by Books Reviews

Trisha said...

This was great, but I think it needs continuing!! hehe