Life was full of 'firsts' in the year I turned 18:
- I moved away from home for the first time.
- I got my first real boyfriend (the guy I dated for 5 weeks when I was 15/16 doesn't count).
- I had my first kiss (see the point above. How did I manage to date someone for 5 weeks and avoid kissing him? That should have been a sign, right? Rachel, you don't even want to kiss this guy, why are you with him?!)
- I went on a taxi for the first time. (And I'm talking South African taxi here! See the picture below.)
- I went on a train for the first time (in South Africa).
- I applied for a job for the first time.
- I fought with my best friend for the first time.
- I drove a car for the first time.
- I realised for the first time that doing badly in a test or exam wasn't that big a deal. Life did not end! (Who knew?!)
|Usually more packed than this!|
|Oh my hat, this was almost 9 years ago. I feel old!!|
|The quad of Fuller Hall, the res I lived in.|
|The view from Fuller Hall over the city of Cape Town.|
|Can you spot me? No? Okay, scroll down ...|
|My best friend and me. The one I fought with. We're still best friends. And she's a bridesmaid for my wedding :-)|
The Year I Turned 18 Blog Fest is in honour of the release of Cally Jackson's The Big Smoke, a new adult novel in which both main characters turn 18 and head off to university where they face new challenges and try to figure out who they are.
When the semester starts, things get complicated. Ceara’s best friend withdraws from her, Seb’s closest mate turns into a sleazebag, and the relentless demands of university make their stress levels soar. Before their first semester is over, both Seb and Ceara will be forced to question who they are and what they want from their lives. Will they have the courage to find the answers, or will they crumble under the pressure? And when they finally meet, will it be love at first sight or a collision of headstrong personalities?